The Feature Kitchen is a weekend takeaway delivery service, working each month with different chefs and an exciting variety of cuisines, serving Lewes and the surrounding areas, and Brighton.
This month, on the weekends of 6, 13, 20 & 27 August we are delighted to have Cris Leone join us in the kitchen, preparing a menu of classic Brazilian dishes. This menu draws from coastal Brazilian fare, particularly the region of Bahia and its unique blend of the foods its Indigenous Brazilian, African and European communities and artful ways of turning ingredients such as fish, coconut, herbs and plantain into fantastically tasty dishes, like moqueca. Cris previously ran three popular restaurants for many years in East London; Ivy's Mess Hall, Little Ivy's and Lobster Bar, touching on culinary influences of her Brazilian-Italian and Spanish heritage. Cris now runs Saint Picnic, delivering small batch locally sourced sweet and savoury bites in and around Lewes. Check it out!
The Brazilian menu includes (for £13.50): moqueca (a coconut and pepper stew) w/ fish & prawns OR chicken OR green plantain (veg) with rice and cheiro verde, biquinho (sharp mild pickled peppers), farofa (manioc and vegetable crumble), collard greens and optional sides of coxinha with mushrooms or chicken (filled deep fried cones) or caramel flan (creme caramel). See the full menu here.
Each Friday, three weekends a month, food is freshly prepared in a the Lewes Community Kitchen, packaged in containers. Then, it is delivered on Friday and Saturday evenings (between 6pm-8pm) to houses around Brighton, Lewes and the surrounding areas, ready for simple reheating - on the stove, in an oven or using a microwave. The menu consists of specially selected dishes (with meat & vegetarian/vegan options). See the menu here.
The Feature Kitchen was set-up by Jacob Fodio Todd, of The Groundnut, after an inspiring meeting with Genet & Abeba, who were looking to expand their Ethiopian food business, and Jane Lancashire , who helped organise their Lewes pop-up event. The feature kitchen has three main aims:
1) to boost the variety of weekend takeaway options in the local areas of operation by each month inviting different people to cook fresh dishes for home delivery.
2) to share the wealth of culinary knowledge - from all parts of the world - that exists in the local area
3) to act as a platform and springboard for talented cooks - especially to support those navigating the UK food industry or need help developing their business. The feature kitchen's aim is to invite different cooks from a variety of backgrounds to contribute their culinary skills to the kitchen project, so that Lewes and the surrounding areas have ever changing, and interesting, food options readily available.
TFK Covid 19 Response
In December 2019 our kitchen was inspected & received the highest 5* rating from the Food Standards Agency. Since then things have obviously changed drastically around us and we continue to take precautions despite public health bodies such as Public Health England & the Food Standards Agency assuring that: " it is very unlikely that COVID-19 is transmitted through food or food packaging" "COVID-19 is a respiratory illness. It is not known to be transmitted by exposure to food or food packaging."
Our practice has adapted to new circumstances in the following ways:
- Limits of people in the kitchen and managing workplace risks, with small cohorts
& other measures such as facemasks, where possible
- Separate stations with equal access to sink & stores - for kitchen workers to maintain maximum distance apart
- Washing hands frequently
- Staggered pick-up of deliveries, so each driver comes in an allocated time slot. Their deliveries ordered for easy pick-up.
- Will leave bags on a ledge or on doorstep and attempt no contact deliveries
- No longer taking cash payments
If you have any questions or concerns please email us at email@example.com