The Feature Kitchen is a weekend takeaway delivery service, working each month with different chefs and an exciting variety of cuisines, serving Lewes and the surrounding areas, and Brighton.
Through May, we welcome Manal, a new guest for The Feature Kitchen who will be cooking a delicious Syrian spread. Manal lives in Sussex, and is very much part of the local community, often making Syrian food at events, which is always well-received. Manal also volunteers at Voices in Exile, helping people who have come to the UK as refugees settle in the area, and she has created a cookbook in order to share her love of food: "in Syria we love cooking and we love food! I have created this cook book because I want to share my favourite recipes from home with people in England". Find out more about the cookbook here (all proceeds go to providing medical supplies for Syrian refugees), or order & taste her food at home here.
Manal's menu includes (for £13.50): a small meze of three dips: humous (classic chickpea and tahini), muhummra (spicy red pepper and walnut) & moutabel (aubergine, yoghurt and tahini) with a a vegetarian option: moussaka (Syrian style layered vegetable dish) or molokhia (chicken cooked with jute mallow leaves) served with sella rice and fattoush (fresh cut salad with lemon dressing and toasted bread). Sides include kibbeh (lamb and bulgur wheat deep fried cones), lentil soup (satisfying light lentil soup) or knafeh (shredded filo sweet pastry). See the full menu here.
Each Friday, three weekends a month, food is freshly prepared in a the Lewes Community Kitchen, packaged in containers. Then, it is delivered on Friday and Saturday evenings (between 6pm-8pm) to houses around Brighton, Lewes and the surrounding areas, ready for simple reheating - on the stove or using a microwave. The menu consists of specially selected dishes (with meat & vegetarian/vegan options). See the menu here.
The Feature Kitchen was set-up by Jacob Fodio Todd, of The Groundnut, after an inspiring meeting with Genet & Abeba, who were looking to expand their Ethiopian food business, and Jane Lancashire , who helped organise their Lewes pop-up event. The feature kitchen has three main aims:
1) to boost the variety of weekend takeaway options in the local areas of operation by each month inviting different people to cook fresh dishes for home delivery.
2) to share the wealth of culinary knowledge - from all parts of the world - that exists in the local area
3) to act as a platform and springboard for talented cooks - especially to support those navigating the UK food industry or need help developing their business. The feature kitchen's aim is to invite different cooks from a variety of backgrounds to contribute their culinary skills to the kitchen project, so that Lewes and the surrounding areas have ever changing, and interesting, food options readily available.
TFK Covid 19 Response
In December 2019 our kitchen was inspected & received the highest 5* rating from the Food Standards Agency. Since then things have obviously changed drastically around us and we continue to take precautions despite public health bodies such as Public Health England & the Food Standards Agency assuring that: " it is very unlikely that COVID-19 is transmitted through food or food packaging" "COVID-19 is a respiratory illness. It is not known to be transmitted by exposure to food or food packaging."
Our practice has adapted to new circumstances in the following ways:
- Limits of people in the kitchen and managing workplace risks, with small cohorts
& other measures such as facemasks, where possible
- Separate stations with equal access to sink & stores - for kitchen workers to maintain maximum distance apart
- Washing hands extremely frequently
- Staggered pick-up of deliveries, so each driver comes in an allocated time slot. Their deliveries ordered for easy pick-up.
- On arrival, wipe down their vehicle's surfaces with antibac spray
- Wash hands/hand sanitise.
- Gloves and masks provided
- Will leave bags on a ledge or on doorstep and attempt no contact deliveries
- No longer taking cash payments
If you have any questions or concerns please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org