The Feature Kitchen is a weekend takeaway delivery service, working each month with different chefs and an exciting variety of cuisines, serving Lewes and the surrounding areas, and Brighton.
Over four weekends this month (Fridays & Saturdays 5, 12, 19 & 26 March) we are delighted to welcome Jan Goj & David Jancok, who are preparing a traditional Czech menu. Both trained as chefs in the Czech Republic before Jan spent six year cheffing at Limetree Kitchen and David worked at numerous bars and restaurants in London & Sussex. In 2020 they set up Lewes' premier burger joint: Real Burger Lewes. For the Feature Kitchen this month, they offer a menu harking back to home: Ostrava in eastern Czech Republic. The menu features traditional Czech fare, hearty stews with distinct light bread dumplings (knedlicky), and sides featuring ingredients ubiquitous to the region: meat, potato, cabbage, beetroot, and poppy seeds.
This month's menu includes (for £13.50): obložený chlebíček (traditional garnished sandwiches, with assorted meat and vegetarian toppings) with either meat option: kuře na paprice s houskovým knedlíkem (chicken on paprika with dumplings) or vegetarian option: houbová omáčka s restovanými liškami a houskovým knedlíkem (mushroom sauce with dumplings). Sides include uzené vepřové koleno s chlebem, hořčicí, křenem a kozími rohy (smoked ham hock with bread, mustard, horseradish, pickled peppers & sauerkraut - £7.50), bramboráček se kysaným zelím a červenou řepou (potato rosti with pickled beetroot, dill sour cream & sauerkraut - £4) or šišky s mákem (sweet potato dumplings in melted butter and ground poppy seeds & sugar - £3). Also available are jars of Organergy biodynamic sauerkraut - £5.50. See the full menu here.
Each Friday, three weekends a month, food is freshly prepared in a the Lewes Community Kitchen, packaged in containers. Then, it is delivered on Friday and Saturday evenings (between 6pm-8pm) to houses around Brighton, Lewes and the surrounding areas, ready for simple reheating - on the stove or using a microwave. The menu consists of specially selected dishes (with meat & vegetarian/vegan options). See the menu here.
The Feature Kitchen was set-up by Jacob Fodio Todd, of The Groundnut, after an inspiring meeting with Genet & Abeba, who were looking to expand their Ethiopian food business, and Jane Lancashire , who helped organise their Lewes pop-up event. The feature kitchen has three main aims:
1) to boost the variety of weekend takeaway options in the local areas of operation by each month inviting different people to cook fresh dishes for home delivery.
2) to share the wealth of culinary knowledge - from all parts of the world - that exists in the local area
3) to act as a platform and springboard for talented cooks - especially to support those navigating the UK food industry or need help developing their business. The feature kitchen's aim is to invite different cooks from a variety of backgrounds to contribute their culinary skills to the kitchen project, so that Lewes and the surrounding areas have ever changing, and interesting, food options readily available.
TFK Covid 19 Response
In December 2019 our kitchen was inspected & received the highest 5* rating from the Food Standards Agency. Since then things have obviously changed drastically around us and we continue to take precautions despite public health bodies such as Public Health England & the Food Standards Agency assuring that: " it is very unlikely that COVID-19 is transmitted through food or food packaging" "COVID-19 is a respiratory illness. It is not known to be transmitted by exposure to food or food packaging."
Our practice has adapted to new circumstances in the following ways:
- Limits of people in the kitchen and managing workplace risks, with small cohorts
& other measures such as facemasks, where possible
- Separate stations with equal access to sink & stores - for kitchen workers to maintain maximum distance apart
- Washing hands extremely frequently
- Staggered pick-up of deliveries, so each driver comes in an allocated time slot. Their deliveries ordered for easy pick-up.
- On arrival, wipe down their vehicle's surfaces with antibac spray
- Wash hands/hand sanitise.
- Gloves and masks provided
- Will leave bags on a ledge or on doorstep and attempt no contact deliveries
- No longer taking cash payments
If you have any questions or concerns please email us at